Ondansetron oral (weight based dosing) to be considered in:
- 6months to `12 years
- mild to moderate dehydration
- or who have failed a trial of ORT
- DOSING recommendations are for oral and a single dose:
- 8-15kg: 2mg
- 15-30kg: 4mg
- >30kg: 6-8mg
Key facts for counselling:
- works within 1-2h
- oral rehydration should be started 15-30 minutes after the dose is given
- reduced risk of further emesis, and reduced frequency of emesis
- reduced risk of IV rehydration and admission
- Adverse event:
- the most significant adverse event is increased risk of diarrhea up to 48 h after administration of dose. Self-limited and lasts <48h.
- Therefore, it is not recommended for those who have gastroenteritis with a predominant symptom of diarrhea.
- the studies reviewed were mainly with oral but IV ondansetron studies appear to have the same conclusions
- only studied for in hospital, not out of hospital setting.